Advanced Manufacturing to Advance Technology
Incom’s fused fiber optic technology is some of the most advanced in the world. As a result, Incom is the only manufacturer that can create fused fiber optic imaging devices from both glass and polymer materials. We also produce a wave guiding material with sub-micron resolution that we call Nanoguide, this material is revolutionizing the AR, VR, and holographic markets. Read on to learn more about how our innovative manufacturing techniques are advancing imaging technology and its applications.
Turning Solid Glass or Polymer Into Millions of Glass Fibers
Incom’s “multidraw” and “multi-multidraw” processes allow for glass and polymer to be drawn into fibers and fused together to form a solid mass. These fibers, with diameters equal to about four wavelengths of visible light, act like pipes that transfer light and images from one end of the “pipe” to the other. The process used to turn solid glass and polymer into millions of individual glass fibers can be seen pictured below.
Incom’s glass and polymer processes are very similar.
- Fiber Single Draw or Direct Draw – Glass or polymer are heated and drawn under tension into a single clad fiber.
- Fiber Multi Draw or Cane Draw– Single fibers are bundled, heated, and drawn.
- Fiber Multi-Multi Draw – Multi fibers are bundled, heated, and drawn.
- Block Assembly or Cane Pack – Drawn material is stacked into a block for pressing/fusing.
- Block Pressing or Fusing – Block is treated with heat and pressure.
- Block Forming – Block is cut to exact customer specifications.